- Obama hosting annual Easter Egg Roll
- Big Bang a big question for most Americans: Poll
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Supreme Court issues no ruling on case challenging N.J. gun law
- Sharyl Attkisson: Media Matters ‘clearly targeted me’
- Sherpas consider boycott after Everest avalanche
- Democrat Rep. Stephen Lynch on Obamacare: ‘We will lose seats’ this November
- Syria to hold presidential election on June 3
- People will be safe at 118th Boston Marathon, Mayor Marty Walsh says
- Boy Scout, 12, killed by rolling tree during troop outing at Washington park
Judge to consider motion to delay new Maryland gun laws
Ken Klukowski, director of the Center for Religious Liberty at the Family Research Council, voiced a similar opinion that lower courts “are desperately in need of firm guidance” from the higher court.
Whether in Maryland or any other of the pending cases out there, he said, lower courts need to know “exactly how high the barrier can be set on the right being fundamental and ensuring laws that burden that right are truly justified by sufficiently vital public interest.”
An answer from a judge could take anywhere from several months to more than a year, Mr. Klukowksi predicted, while Mr. Hudak said if the case went as far as the Supreme Court, it would likely not only take years to get there but also quite some time for a final ruling.
Regardless of the timeline, Mr. Shapiro said the issue of the right to bear arms isn’t going away.
“The Supreme Court hasn’t ruled on the scope of rights, individual rights and how they apply throughout the country,” he said. “It’s a new and growing field. We’re not done with Second Amendment cases, we’re only getting started.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No rest for the retired: Cardinal McCarrick on a mission for peace in Africa
- The sun also rises on Easter in the District
- Higher Ground: Colbert the Catholic
- Feeling taxed today? How about a prayer to St. Matthew?
- 'Matzah Factory' provides hands-on experience for learning about Passover
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Jimmy Carter's grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.