- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Budget blame falls on Obama
We are again nearing a last-minute crisis on our debt limit (“Can Republicans hold the debt ceiling and balance a budget?” Web, Sept. 23). The blame rightfully falls partly on Congress, but mostly in the lap of our president.
As our chief executive, President Obama has the responsibility of leading our capital. He cannot delegate it. He can (and has) tried to shift the blame to Congress (particularly the Republicans), but even that ruse is now wearing thin. As a result of his reluctance to work with Congress, the Republicans have taken what many call a suicidal move by attaching the defunding of health care to the raising of the debt limit. The pundits are out, and the crucifixion of the GOP has begun.
I think the Republicans may still win this battle. The health care act has never enjoyed the backing of the voters, yet Mr. Obama has forged ahead, trying to will his ideology upon us. However, many voters will no longer follow him blindly. There are only days left for the public to form their opinion of today’s Washington antics. I do see the possibility of “we, the people” saying enough is enough. Should that happen, we could see another last-minute capitulation such as we did in the Syrian crisis. This would be sad for our country, and would be a direct result of voting (twice) for coolness when we should have been looking for competence.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Xbox One, Playstation 4 games penalize users for cursing in their own homes
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Young and healthy millennials create risky imbalance by shunning Obamacare
- Obama: Growing income inequality 'defining challenge' of this generation
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare