- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Devout Bryce Harper: ‘I’m not going to be Mr. Tim Tebow’
Washington Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper is a devout Mormon, but he's not going to advocate his faith like football player Tim Tebow.
"If somebody asks me about it, I'll tell them about it, but I'm not going to be Mr. Tim Tebow," Harper said, quickly clarifying that he does not mean that in a derogatory way.
Tebow, the former Florida Heisman Trophy winner and current NFL free agent, is an outspoken proponent of his evangelical faith. His dad, Bob, runs the Bob Tebow Evangelistic Association serving the Philippines.
Harper, who attended seminary classes at 5 a.m. on weekdays in high school, takes a more subtle approach.
He writes "Luke 1:37" on every autograph he signs.
"For with God, nothing shall be impossible."
It's his way own of spreading the Gospel.
Harper decided not to go on a Mormon mission because of his career, though he considered it. That fits for him because proselytizing isn't his style.
"My mom always told me, 'You can touch a lot more lives playing baseball and doing good things than you would on a mission,'" Harper said. "It's very true. Shoot, I'll tweet about God and get 1,500 retweets and it's like, that just went to 1,500 people or more.
"I'm going to try to be the best person I can off the field [and promote my faith that way]. What I say is, 'I try to be the best walking Book of Mormon as I can.'"
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- EDITORIAL: Senate rejects Adegbile for Justice post
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again