- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Australia gun ban not working
Question of the Day
Liberals are constantly trying to steer freedom-minded citizens to look to Europe, Australia and other supposedly more civilized countries in attempts to set the standards for firearms ownership and gun control for America.
After Australian college student Christopher Lane was fatally shot by a trio of “bored” Oklahoma teens, many said it would not have happened in Lane’s home country because of Australia’s drastic gun ban. The actual statistics show that is false.
After Australia’s 1997 forced confiscation and buy-back programs, which supposedly eliminated all firearms, crime did not recede, as statists promised. According to statistics on the website of the Australian Institute of Criminology (the equivalent of our FBI), murders, rapes and assaults all stayed level or increased. The 10 percent drop in gun homicides is mirrored by a 10 percent increase in knife homicides. Sexual assaults actually increased 28 percent, as there is no longer an equalizer available for women to defend themselves from attackers.
Furthermore, the ban that was supposed to make the country safer has resulted in a 300 percent jump in accidental gun deaths. This can be attributed to a lack of gun-safety training.
The evidence is clear that the case study in Australia of disarming the good guys does not make people safer. That’s why here in America we are blessed with the Bill of Rights from our Founding Fathers.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Russia sends Iraq fighter jets, helicopter gunships for ISIL fight after meeting in Moscow
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'