- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
Concussion deal may not be end of NFL legal battle
The NFL’s concussion settlement may not have settled anything.
Aikman wants the NFL to divulge more details about what it knew regarding the long-term impact of repeated blows to the head, and when it knew it. Lynch said he expects even more litigation after the league tentatively agreed last week to pay out $765 million to a group of former players.
“What I’m happy about is that there are players that need it (the money) and need it now, and they’re going to be taken care of,” Lynch said. “But I think the notion that this is done now and we can move on is not really the reality. A new lawsuit was filed today, and from talking with Scott (Fujita) I think there are more to come.”
It wasn’t immediately clear which lawsuit Lynch was referring to, though one was filed Sunday in New Orleans. Former NFL players Jimmy Williams, Rich Mauti, Jimmy Keyes and Nolan Franz claim the league hid information about the dangers of brain injury.
Lynch was one of the league’s hardest hitting safeties in Tampa Bay and Denver from 1993 through 2007. Though Lynch has said he was never officially diagnosed with a concussion, he told a Tampa columnist in 2011 that there were times he was “woozy” and asked a teammate to take his spot closer to the line of scrimmage while he recovered.
“It’s a lot of money, but I think in terms of what could have been paid, it’s not that much,” Aikman said. “I think probably in the big scheme of things, it’s a real positive. These guys will be able to benefit some and some money will be put into research, which will help. The one thing I’m disappointed about is that the NFL didn’t have to acknowledge what they knew about (the long-term impact) and when they knew about it. I think full disclosure would have been the best way to go, but that’s not going to happen now.”
If Lynch is right, perhaps the league will be forced into divulging more details.
Until then, the two will continue calling games on Fox Sports, where they have a new teammate in Randy Moss. The former receiver has rarely held his tongue, which is exactly what Fox executives wanted.
“He’s being himself,” Fox Sports executive producer John Entz said. “He’s being very natural and organic, which is what we love about him.”
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Redskins bypass big splash - for now - as free agency period begins
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again