- Dubya consoles embattled Alabama kicker Cade Foster: You will be stronger
- Megachurch pastor with ties to Obama commits suicide
- WaPo to readers: Send us your ‘gun violence’ stories for Sandy Hook anniversary
- U.S. threatens Ukraine with sanctions over dispatch of riot police
- Canada doing away with door-to-door mail delivery by 2018
- NSA chief defends phone spying: ‘There is no other way’
- Hawaii Health Department head killed in plane crash
- Colorado school drops sexual harassment label on boy who kissed girl’s hand
- Australia court strikes down 5-day-old, gay-marriage law
- Fake interpreter at Mandela service: ‘Sorry,’ I have schizophrenia
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Golfer Stenson a role model
Question of the Day
It is most refreshing to see someone win a major golf tournament today and display a gentleman’s approach as the winner (“Henrik Stenson moves to top of FedEx standings with Deutsche Bank victory,” Web, Sept. 2). Henrik Stenson won that PGA tournament without his fist wielding in an undercut knockout motion a la Tiger Woods.
Mr. Stenson won gracefully as a gentlemen and showed no “in-your-face” outward emotion, which seems to be the norm among today’s pro golfers. I grew up when golf was a true gentleman’s game. You respected the game, and won or lost in a gracious manner. The youth of today need role models like Mr. Stenson to emulate rather than the cursing, club-throwing players such as Mr. Woods.
The most important aspect about the game of golf, after all, is not whether you win or lose — but how you play the game. We must remember that there are many successful moneymakers who are miserable failures as human beings.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
Get Breaking Alerts
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- Washington Post to readers: Send us your gun violence stories for Sandy Hook anniversary
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system
- Study IDs reasons for late-term abortions
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
- Colorado school drops sexual harassment label on boy who kissed girl's hand
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets