- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: No good outcomes in Syria
Question of the Day
At this point, I feel sorry for President Obama, because whichever way he turns on the thorny matter of Syria, he will be condemned.
It is painful for civilized people to stand by while Syrian civilians, including innocent children, are slaughtered by a savage dictator who will do anything to remain in power. We know from prior ill-advised military escapades, however, that U.S. force is likely to make matters worse, that entry into Syria's civil war would most certainly gin up renewed anti-American hatred, if not terrorism, and have the potential to light a match to the Middle East tinderbox, sparking a regional war.
We also know that any promise of a limited and brief entry into the conflict can be classified as famous last words. The only conflict in modern history that went as smoothly and that lasted as briefly as we had anticipated was the Desert Storm operation conducted under President George H.W. Bush, but it was the exception rather than the rule.
Sadly, the Syrian people are doomed, and we may be, too, if we take the bait and seek to bring stability to a region the troubles of which are beyond our ability to repair.
When Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican, ran for president in 2008, he warned there would unquestionably be "more wars." Sadly, he was right. Certainly, we are heading to Syria. So much for any "peace dividend."
Upper Saint Clair, Pa.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Crime-ridden U.S. cities differ on ways to fight gun violence
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'