- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: War, like gun use, is a last resort
Question of the Day
I was taught at an early age gun safety and the rules for the use of a gun. I was taught that in a serious and potentially deadly confrontation to never pick up or pull out a gun unless it is the only option for survival. Once pulled, a gun is never to be used for show, to scare or to wound someone.
When I think of "boots on the ground," I see sons and daughters, husbands and wives, mothers and fathers. I see those who have taken the extra step, who have come forward and put on the uniform and pledged with their lives to defend this beautiful country. I also see people want to live and survive as long as possible. No one plans to become a name on a wall of a memorial, and those in uniform should only be called upon when all other options have been tried — and even then only as a last resort.
When an enemy has been identified and recognized for the mortal threat it is, and when the time to pull the trigger has come, it will only be done to mortally wound, to kill the enemy before the enemy can kill any of us. Unfortunately, today those paid to be politicians have come a long way from where they should and were elected to be.
GARY A. GUBISCH
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
Get Breaking Alerts
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Houston mayor: Sorry that police put man's blind dog on road to die
- HUSAIN: Worlds grand ayatollahs rally behind Sistani