- Obama mulls support for Islamists in Syria, with conditions
- Obama ‘birther’ theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
- U.S. drone faulted for killing 14 ‘innocent civilians’ at Yemen wedding
- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
This is an occasion to retell stories of the long-standing feud between Mike Shanahan and the late Raiders owner Al Davis. It stemmed from a salary dispute involving Davis‘ decision to fire Shanahan in 1989. The Redskins should exploit a defense that can’t rush the passer.
Sunday, Oct. 13
8:30 p.m., NBC
The Redskins need to be 3-1 coming off the bye week if they are to assert themselves atop the division. They swept Dallas last season for the first time since 2005. The Cowboys couldn’t stop the deep passing game in the first meeting and left themselves vulnerable to the run when they adjusted in the second.
Sunday, Oct. 20
vs. Chicago Bears
1 p.m., Fox
Chicago won as many games as the Redskins in 2012, but the franchises had significantly different offseasons because the Bears missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker. They replaced coach Lovie Smith with Marc Trestman.
Sunday, Oct. 27
4:25 p.m., Fox
Shanahan’s return to Denver is one of the highlights on the schedule. He probably will end up in the Hall of Fame because of what he accomplished as head coach there from 1995 to 2008 — two Super Bowl championships, three AFC West titles and a .616 winning percentage.
Sunday, Nov. 3
vs. San Diego Chargers
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
- House budget bargain faces Senate filibuster; Republicans line up to oppose
- Broncos-Chargers game ends with several stabbings
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Kim Jong-un consolidating power or losing grip on North Korea's military
- Inside China: Ukraine gets nuclear umbrella
- Echoes of Cold War in Ukraine as Russia tries to rein in former Soviet satellites
- PRUDEN: The last living witnesses; they wore the yellow star and remember the Nazi terror
- American missing in Iran was CIA operative who went rogue - Washington Times#pagebreak#pagebreak
- Medicare pays full price for half-empty vials of medicine
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Consummate traveler Todd DeFeo explores the unique stories that make destinations worth going to.
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow