- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
1 of 2 reactors at Maryland nuclear plant shuts down
Question of the Day
LUSBY, Md. — Constellation Energy Nuclear Group says it has shut down one of two nuclear reactors at its Calvert Cliffs power plant after a malfunction during testing.
Plant spokesman Kory Raftery says a control rod dropped into the reactor Thursday during tests at the Southern Maryland plant and it was shut down. He said Friday that electrical maintenance will be performed, but it’s not clear when unit 2 will return to service.
Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Neil Sheehan says the plant must shut down within six hours if a rod can’t be withdrawn. He says inspectors will follow the maintenance.
Raftery says there’s no public safety threat, and an investigation found no link to a shutdown in May.
The plant is located along the Chesapeake Bay, about 70 miles south of Baltimore.
TWT Video Picks
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq