- Ukraine will compete in Sochi Paralympics despite Crimea conflict
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
LOVERRO: 50 years ago, Darryl Hill broke through barrier at Maryland
Hill continued knocking down doors throughout his life. He became a successful businessman in a number of ventures, not only in the United States but in Russia and China as well. Now he is chairman of the Kids Play USA Foundation, which is dedicated to removing the financial barriers from youth sports.
“I’ve dedicated my 50th anniversary to work against the economic discrimination kids are now facing in sports,” Hill said. “This covers all races. Some sports are prohibitively expensive for families now. Sometimes it’s not how good you are or how hard you work. It’s can your daddy write the check? There’s something inherently wrong with that. We can’t go backwards.”
You can’t go backwards after this: after Hill enrolled at Maryland, Clemson threatened to leave the ACC. The coach, Howard, threatened to pull out of the game there if Hill came. Hill’s mother, Palestine, was refused entry to the stadium and had to be privately brought in by Clemson president Robert Edwards to his private box.
It was Jackie Robinson-like.
• Thom Loverro is co-host of “The Sports Fix,” noon to 2 p.m. daily on ESPN 980 radio and espn980.com
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- LOVERRO: Caps' trading activity done by a man confident he'll be sticking around
- LOVERRO: Brian Orakpo is the Redskins' franchise player? Poor guy
- LOVERRO: For Matt Williams, it's 99 percent inspiration, 1 percent conversation
- LOVERRO: Time for Nats to give Frank Robinson his due
- LOVERRO: FBI files add to mystery of Sonny Liston, but Ali's legacy untarnished
Latest Blog Entries
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- Golden Hammer: Feds spend millions to train executives train in luxury
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again