- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
F. Lee Bailey denied law license in Maine
Question of the Day
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - Celebrity lawyer F. Lee Bailey was denied the right to practice law in Maine by the state’s highest court Thursday, keeping him from restarting his legal career after being barred in other states.
The 4-2 ruling overturned a previous decision by a single justice, who found that Bailey was fit to practice law because he was sufficiently rehabilitated after mishandling a client’s stocks worth $6 million.
Bailey, whose high-profile clients have included O.J. Simpson and Patty Hearst, was previously licensed in Massachusetts and Florida, but was disbarred in those states for his handling of the stocks.
The 80-year-old Bailey, who lives in Maine, already passed the bar in that state.
But the Maine Supreme Court concluded that he had not demonstrated that he understood the seriousness of his actions that led to his disbarment in the other states.
Bailey had previously said he was disillusioned with the profession but liked the idea of practicing in Maine, where he spent summers growing up.
Following Thursday’s decision, he said he was disappointed with the ruling and has no future plans to try and practice law. However, he said he would continue to work as a Maine-based business consultant.
“I don’t plan to retire - ever,” he said.
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world