Talk about a fiery start. The U.S. flag that flies at Turner Field caught fire after a fireworks mishap at the Atlanta Braves' home opener this week.
"I was just taking pictures," Atlanta resident Julie Paulk told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. And then she saw flames erupt on Old Glory. "Oh my God, the flag's on fire."
Braves' spokeswoman Beth Marshall called the event unfortunate, but said the damage was quickly controlled.
"We tried pyrotechnics from a new location and one went awry, burning holes in the flag," she told the Journal-Constitution. "The flag was made of flame-retardant material so it didn't catch fire, but did burn holes. We replaced the flag immediately following the game and we will no longer use pyrotechnics from that location."
Many in the crowd likely missed the excitement, as the fire began around the time of an on-field ceremony for Hall of Fame legend Hank Aaron.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.