Continued from page 1

A VOICE FROM THE ALTAR

An Irish priest also is taking YouTube by storm, thanks to his stirring rendition of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” during a wedding he officiated last weekend.

A video of the Rev. Ray Kelly singing a customized version of the song during the ceremony has passed 100,000 views, according to the Irish Independent.

“Normally for a local couple, they’d ask me to sing at the wedding and I’d oblige, but this couple had no idea,” he told an Irish radio station. “I put on my track for Leonard Cohen [at the altar], and that’s where it took off.”

Father Kelly is a priest in Oldcastle, County Meath, and the couple, Chris and Leah O’Kane, were from out of town and not expecting the song. Their guests were equally shocked, though by the end of Father Kelly’s performance, the church had erupted in cheers and a standing ovation. Despite his growing popularity online, Father Kelly said he has no plans to take his show on the road.

“I enjoy singing, but I wouldn’t want to do it full time,” he told BBC Radio in Northern Ireland. “I love what I’m doing as a priest.”

Father Kelly’s rendition can be watched using this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKwqj5QViQ&list=UUz3ZTkHGStSYVlh-ibvbk4g.

MASS UNHAPPINESS

Not all Catholic priests are happy with changes made to the English text now used during Mass, a survey shows.

Nearly 40 percent of priests said they were apprehensive about the changes three years ago, and many remain unhappy with the adjustments.

The revisions first appeared in late 2011, and included new wording for prayers said by the priest and new responses for the congregation.

The survey was conducted by the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate, which is based at Georgetown University.

Out of the 539 responses, about 85 percent came from clergy members such as priests or deacons, while the other 15 percent of responses were from lay leaders.

Of the lay leaders, about one-third of them, the largest group, said they were looking forward to the revisions and still liked them three years later. Nearly 60 percent of the lay leaders said they now support the changes.

“Clergy are more likely than lay leaders to express a negative attitude about the new texts,” the survey found.

Story Continues →