- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Webster school’s security system nears completion
Question of the Day
MINDEN, La. (AP) - If there ever will be a violent threat to a Webster Parish school, officials are better prepared to eliminate it.
A security project several years in the works that allows school and homeland security to look inside the halls of every parish school, is nearing completion.
A grant through the Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness combined with the Webster OHS and school board security allowed for the purchase and import of digital map plans of parish schools.
“I can pull up a digital map, point to a camera and it will come up,” Webster schools security director Buster Flowers said. “I can monitor in my office. If we’ve got someone moving on the school, I can track him.”
Webster Director of Homeland Security John Stanley also has access to the system so in the event of an active shooter, planning and coordination can begin immediately.
“It’s the school board’s system,” Stanley said. “I just have the window into it in case we have an event. I can look and direct the responders.”
Depending on the size, Stanley tells The Minden Press-Herald (http://bit.ly/1hG0yQN) each school has about 30 cameras.
The school board funded the cameras and online system, while the GOHSEP grant funded the purchase of the digital plans.
Information from: Minden Press-Herald, http://www.press-herald.com/
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world