- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Cardinals extend contract of GM Mozeliak
Question of the Day
Mozeliak, 45, has been with the Cardinals organization for the last 19 seasons, the last six as GM. During Mozeliak’s tenure, the Cardinals have been to the postseason four times, winning two National League pennants, and a World Series in 2011.
The Cardinals have also been recognized twice by Baseball America as the organization of the year (2011 and 2013).
“I think what we’ve been able to accomplish here is something we all take a lot of pride in, but we also know every year is a new year and every year has new challenges,” Mozeliak said. “I think that’s the exciting thing about working with this group. It’s innovative, it’s creative and it’s not looking back. It’s about looking forward.”
Mozeliak has negotiated contracts to keep several key players under team control, including Matt Holliday, Yadier Molina, Adam Wainwright, Allen Craig and Matt Carpenter.
“Given where we are and how the organization’s doing, it was appropriate for us to do it,” DeWitt said. “It was pretty hectic during spring training and the first part of the season, so we felt it was appropriate to do it now.
“We really didn’t have a lot of discussions. I met with him when we opened the season in Cincinnati. I talked to him about it at that time and we did it pretty quickly.”
That was just fine with Mozeliak.
“I was obviously very excited. This is my home. I’ve been with the Cardinals now going on 19 years. This is really what I know.”
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world