- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Judge orders Maricopa County to pay attorney fees
Question of the Day
PHOENIX (AP) - A judge is ordering Maricopa County to pay $190,000 for attorney fees incurred by a Sun City medical dispensary operator which successfully challenged the county’s refusal to provide zoning clearance for the facility.
Superior Court Judge Michael D. Gordon also ordered the county to pay $3,700 in other legal costs borne by White Mountain Health Center Inc. plus a $5,000 penalty for trying to impose a blanket prohibition on medical marijuana dispensaries.
Gordon previously ruled in White Mountain’s lawsuit that the county wasn’t in compliance with Arizona’s voter-approved law on medical marijuana.
The county is appealing Gordon’s ruling that dispensaries are allowed despite federal laws against marijuana trafficking.
Since that ruling, the county in January approved a new ordinance allowing dispensaries in commercial zones and cultivation sites in industrial zones.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- D.C. plans to seek stay of order striking down ban on handguns in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq