- New Mexico decides to use HealthCare.gov for 2015
- Satanists to use Hobby Lobby rule to skirt state abortion laws
- White House: No choice but to act now on climate change
- HHS: ‘Donut hole’ reforms saved Medicare enrollees $11.5 billion since 2010
- Boston-area tornado rips 100 homes: ‘Are we in Kansas?’
- Rush Limbaugh: ‘There is no journalism anymore’
- Scott Brown struggles for political traction in New Hampshire Senate race
- California’s Jerry Brown cites God, ‘religious call’ to embrace illegals
- Hamid Karzai’s cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid al-Fitr party
- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
DEP: Wastewater leaked from Range impoundment pond
Question of the Day
MARIANNA, Pa. (AP) - The state Department of Environmental Protection says Range Resources will likely be sent a violation notice and fined for drilling wastewater that leaked out of an impoundment pond in southwestern Pennsylvania.
The drilling firm contacted the DEP when workers who were inspecting and upgrading the pond on Wednesday discovered a hole in the pond’s liner and contaminated soil beneath it in Amwell Township.
Range spokesman Matt Pitzarella said the wastewater from hydraulic fracturing amounts to salt water and hasn’t threatened drinking water or the environment.
DEP spokesman Jon Poister says the agency is trying to determine how much water leaked, though an inspector has already determined it was a “significant” leak.
Poister and Pitzarella say Range has hired a consulting firm to advise it how to dig up the contaminated soil and otherwise clean up the site.
TWT Video Picks
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq