- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
LA’s $430 million trash train on hold
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A $430 million railway system intended to haul garbage to a desert landfill is at a standstill because Los Angeles County sanitation officials say it’s cheaper to use local dumps.
The LA County Sanitation Districts will pay $15 million each year to dump 648,000 tons of trash into Orange County landfills under a two-year contract that began last month.
Charles Boehmke, head of solid waste management for the districts, says LA County’s disposal needs dropped dramatically starting in 2005 as the economic downturn began.
Officials decided the trash train would not be economical.
Boehmke says the new rail stations, bridges and track that connect the Puente Hills trash-sorting facility to rail lines running 200 miles into the desert remain on standby for future use.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors