You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

People will be safe at 118th Boston Marathon, Mayor Marty Walsh says

- The Washington Times - Monday, April 21, 2014

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh said Monday that the city has a good plan in place to ensure that the runners and spectators that turn out for the 118th running of the Boston Marathon are safe.

"People are going to be safe today," Mr. Walsh said on CNBC's "Squawk Box." "We have plenty of police presence on the street, as well as undercover. We have all kinds of different bomb-sniffing devices to make sure their are no bombs out there."

The comments come roughly a year after a pair of homemade pressure cooker bombs exploded near the finish line on Boylston Street, killing three and injuring more than 200, transforming the prized tradition into a gruesome scene.

"In light of what happened last year, this is us taking back the finish line," Mr. Walsh said. "This is a special event."

The race kicks off Monday morning. More than 36,000 runners are expected to participate, the Boston Globe said.

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.