- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Champions League: Chelsea, Atletico in 0-0 draw
Question of the Day
MADRID (AP) - Chelsea capitalized on its defensive strategy, playing to a 0-0 draw with Atletico Madrid on Tuesday in the first leg of their Champions League semifinal.
Jose Mourinho’s ultra-defensive tactics worked at the Vicente Calderon Stadium despite the early exit of injured goalkeeper Petr Cech in the 18th minute. Mark Schwarzer came on with Cech’s long-term replacement, Thibaut Courtois, playing in the opposite goal, on-loan from Chelsea.
The return leg is at Stamford Bridge on April 30. The winner plays Bayern Munich or Real Madrid in the final.
The English club can feel upbeat about its chances of returning to the final, two years after beating Bayern Munich on penalties. Atletico leads the Spanish league and hasn’t been this far in Europe’s top competition since 1974.
Mourinho’s game plan was not pretty, but certainly proved effective as the Blues stifled Atletico. The Spanish club’s best opportunity of the first half forced Cech from the game with an injured shoulder when he tipped a corner kick over the bar. Schwarzer came on to chants of “Courtois,” with Atletico fans mocking Chelsea’s decision to loan the Belgian goalkeeper.
Yellow cards to Frank Lampard and John Obi Mikel mean the Chelsea midfield pair will miss the game at Stamford Bridge.
Follow Paul Logothetis on Twitter: www.twitter.com/PaulLogoAP
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world