- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
Electric Boat, labor union agree to new contract
Question of the Day
GROTON, Conn. (AP) - A labor union for 2,200 workers at submarine maker Electric Boat has agreed to a new, five-year contract that includes annual pay raises of 3 percent or more.
Electric Boat, a subsidiary of General Dynamics Corp. of Falls Church, Va., employs a total of more than 12,000 people, mainly in Connecticut and Rhode Island.
The Day of New London reports (http://bit.ly/1f9oHoh ) that members of the Metal Trades Council approved the contract Tuesday on a vote of 1,307 to 277. The union includes machinists, electricians, painters, pipefitters and professional employees.
Union president Kenneth DelaCruz called it a good contract.
“I think the company acknowledges the skill sets of the workforce and recognizes that you have to maintain these skill sets,” DelaCruz said.
Electric Boat President Jeff Geiger said the contract provides stability and allows the company and workers to focus on making two submarines a year for the Navy with partner Newport News Shipbuilding in Virginia. The company is also designing a new class of ballistic-missile submarines.
“With the stability this contract provides, we can continue producing the submarines the U.S. Navy needs to maintain undersea dominance,” Geiger said.
The contract also includes pension increases for current workers and a voluntary severance package.
Information from: The Day, http://www.theday.com
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world