- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Big baby: Massachusetts mom gives birth to 14-pound girl
Question of the Day
A Massachusetts mom gave birth to a 14-pound, 5-ounce girl this week, surprising even doctors who thought her last ultrasound put her weight at 11.5 pounds.
"Everyone in the operating room was like, 'Oh my God, look at the size of this baby. Let's get her on the scale. What does she weigh?' Nobody could believe it," said the mother, Caroline Ruscak, from her Massachusetts General Hospital recovery room, CBS reported.
She said that just three weeks earlier, doctors had said the baby's weight was 11.5 pounds.
"People were like, 'We need to check the records. This could be the biggest baby we've ever seen here,' " she added, CBS reported. Turns out, it's a tie: In 2002, another baby came in with the same measurements, CBS reported.
Mrs. Ruscak stands 5 feet, 9 inches, and her husband, Bryan, is 6-foot-6, CBS reported. Their first daughter was born on the big side, too — but only 10 pounds.
Both mother and baby, named Carisa, are healthy and due to be discharged on Friday.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Thomas the Tank Engine show is racist, British blogger accuses
- Scott Brown struggles for political traction in New Hampshire Senate race
- Satanists to use Hobby Lobby rule to skirt state abortion laws
- Rush Limbaugh: 'There is no journalism anymore'
- Toronto's Rob Ford takes rehabbed self to kids' playground for political props
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world