- Associated Press - Saturday, April 26, 2014

NORFOLK, Neb. (AP) - Phyllis Glaser knew something was wrong with her son, Jonathan.

Late last year, the usually energetic 7-year-old started to wear out easily.

“He would have his moments where it was hard for him to keep up with doing the normal kid things, but he’s still able to be the kid, still play and do all of those fun things,” she told the Norfolk Daily News (http://bit.ly/1iNKQbb). “He just didn’t have enough of the energy that he had before to be able to keep up with everybody.”

Glaser, and her husband, Monte, also noticed the large amount of bruises Jonathan had on his body. At one point, they counted 23.

“We knew he would wrestle around with his brothers and have fun, but to have 23 bruises, that’s not right,” Glaser said.

After having Dr. Dan Blomenberg examine him, he diagnosed Jonathan with aplastic anemia and was sent to Children's Hospital in Omaha on Dec. 27. With aplastic anemia, the bone marrow - which produces red and white blood cells, as well as blood platelets - quits working.

He spent three days at the hospital, which is a lot shorter than the six weeks they could have spent there, Glaser said. Since his diagnosis, Jonathan has to get blood work done weekly, as well as blood transfusions.

“He has been an absolute trooper,” Glaser said. “His sense of humor has gotten him through all of this.”

One procedure that could greatly help Jonathan was a bone marrow transplant, Glaser said. Everyone in the family got tested for a possible match - Phyllis, Monte, sister Allison, 13; brother, Andrew, 12; and brother, Evan, 10.

Evan turned out to be a match. Glaser was hesitant on how to inform Evan, but Jonathan did the work for them.

“He went over, all excited and said, ‘You’re my match,’ ” Glaser said, adding that Evan was ready to do it. “It was just something he wanted to do. He wanted to help his brother.”

On March 13, Jonathon was admitted to the Nebraska Medical Center to undergo intense chemotherapy treatments to completely wipe out his bone marrow. The bone marrow transplant followed on March 19.

Evan, she said, became slightly nervous the day of the procedure, but his father reassured him. Glaser said Evan was poked a number of times to get the bone marrow out, which made him really sore.

“Jonathan was joking around, saying, ‘You look like a grandpa now,’ walking around because he was so stiff,” Glaser said.

After a two-week waiting period, the bone marrow transplant has been deemed successful as Jonathan’s body is beginning to produce red and white blood cells and platelets. He’s also seems to be feeling better, although he still tires easily.

Story Continues →