- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
9 mumps cases diagnosed at U. of Illinois
Question of the Day
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) - University of Illinois officials say nine students on the Urbana-Champaign campus have been diagnosed with mumps. The cases are part of an outbreak that has already produced more cases this year than the state saw in all of 2013.
Dr. Robert Palinkas is director of the campus McKinley Health Center. He tells The News-Gazette (http://bit.ly/1rFdBJY ) the nine cases have all been diagnosed since spring break. A faculty member has what may be a 10th case.
Palinkas said the students were all vaccinated. But he said the vaccine is only 80 to 85 percent effective.
The Illinois Department of Public Health says 65 other cases have been confirmed this year. Most are in Morgan and Sangamon counties in central Illinois.
Last year the state had a total of 26 mumps cases.
Information from: The News-Gazette, http://www.news-gazette.com
TWT Video Picks
By James A. Lyons Jr.
The president has shifted alliance from friend to enemy
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world