- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
- New bill would make sure women in military can get free birth control
- Trafficking bust reveals worries over missing kids; minors as young as 11 found
- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
Offshore Va. wind research focus of US meeting
Question of the Day
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) - A public meeting is scheduled in Virginia Beach on offshore test turbines that could smooth the way for the development of wind farms 20-plus miles off the sandy beaches of the resort city.
The meeting Thursday is sponsored by the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management. It will focus on the environmental impacts of the wind turbines, which would be capable of producing 12 megawatts of wind energy.
The Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy has requested a research lease for the turbines.
Proponents of clean wind energy, including the Sierra Club, are expected to attend the meeting and press for construction of an offshore wind farm off the coast by 2020.
Dominion Virginia Power successfully bid for the vast offshore leasing area.
TWT Video Picks
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- National laboratory cancels 'Southern Accent Reduction' classes after outcry
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world