- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Nursing schools face tighter accreditation mandate
Question of the Day
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Lawmakers have passed legislation that they hope will halt a slide in test scores among nursing school graduates by requiring stricter accreditation on programs.
The bill (SB 1036) addresses measures passed in 2009 and 2010 that made it easier for colleges to open nursing education programs, removing the approval process from the state’s appointed Board of Nursing.
The bill, which passed unanimously, also removes oversight of nursing school evaluation from the state’s legislative analysis office and hands it to the Florida Center for Nursing.
The government accountability office had pointed out numerous deficiencies with the previous measures. The center for nursing has not received state funding for three years, but an appropriation for $400,000 has been asked for in the current budget.
TWT Video Picks
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world