- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Ideas to better track airliners
Question of the Day
Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 remains missing after nearly a month, but it’s no longer front-page news. I have some ideas to improve the location of missing aircraft in the future.
First, every airliner should have three transponders broadcasting its location and other vital data every 60 seconds on separate frequencies. All planes should have emergency backup power that should not be able to be turned off by the crew in flight. Planes should not be able to take off unless all three transponders are working.
As to crash-locator beacons, there should be five recording the same data as above, hopefully with video and audio of the cockpit and passenger cabin. In a water crash, three of the beacons should detach after sinking 50 feet, and they should float to the surface.
The beacons should then be made to signal the location of the crash and the current location of the beacons, and they should signal this information every minute for up to 90 days.
WAYNE L. JOHNSON
Commander, Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps (retired)
About the Author
- EDITORIAL: Red states are the 'tickled pink' states
- EDITORIAL: A Second Amendment right recognized for D.C.
- EDITORIAL: The two faces of Mark Warner
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Texas law is making women safer
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: No taxpayer funds for illegals
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
Get Breaking Alerts
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Russia violating 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- RAHN: When money mischief goes global