- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Ideas to better track airliners
Question of the Day
Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 remains missing after nearly a month, but it’s no longer front-page news. I have some ideas to improve the location of missing aircraft in the future.
First, every airliner should have three transponders broadcasting its location and other vital data every 60 seconds on separate frequencies. All planes should have emergency backup power that should not be able to be turned off by the crew in flight. Planes should not be able to take off unless all three transponders are working.
As to crash-locator beacons, there should be five recording the same data as above, hopefully with video and audio of the cockpit and passenger cabin. In a water crash, three of the beacons should detach after sinking 50 feet, and they should float to the surface.
The beacons should then be made to signal the location of the crash and the current location of the beacons, and they should signal this information every minute for up to 90 days.
WAYNE L. JOHNSON
Commander, Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps (retired)
About the Author
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Reject any legislation dubbed 'comprehensive'
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Media are complicit in Hamas' tactics
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gazans should help defeat Hamas
- EDITORIAL: The impeachment trap
- EDITORIAL: Illegal aliens in the shadows? What shadows?
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'