- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
- Hillary: ‘Dead broke’ comment was ‘inartful,’ but insists it was ‘accurate’
Colorado Dems have gender pay problems of their own
New report finds gaps in offices of Udall, Polis
Question of the Day
DENVER — Democratic lawmakers may preach paycheck equality, but it turns out their female staffers are still coming up short compared to their male counterparts.
An analysis conducted by the conservative website Colorado Peak Politics found that Democratic Sen. Mark Udall pays his female staffers on average 84 cents for every dollar earned by his male staffers.
The same analysis found that Republican Reps. Mike Coffman and Cory Gardner pay their female staffers on average more than their male staffers. Mr. Coffman’s female staffers earn $1.12 for every dollar earned by male staffers, while Mr. Gardner’s female staffers earn $1.04 for every buck earned by their male counterparts.
“Perhaps if Udall and his fellow Democrats focused on treating their own employees equally first, then we wouldn’t have to legislate a solution,” said the Peak commentary. “It shouldn’t be that hard, as two of Colorado’s top Republicans show how easy it is to do.”
The biggest gap in the Colorado delegation belonged to Democratic Rep. Jared Polis, a multimillionaire, whose female staffers earn just 65 cents for every dollar earned by his male staffers, according to the website.
Udall spokesman Chris Harris told the Denver Post that the senator’s male and female staffers working the same job earn the same pay, but that’s a distinction often lost in the Democratic battle cry over paycheck fairness.
Mr. Udall is hardly alone among Senate Democrats. A report released Tuesday by the Washington Free Beacon found that female staffers working for Senate Democrats earn on average $0.91 for every buck earned by male staffers.
And even President Obama’s White House has come under fire after it was learned female staffers earn on average less than male employees.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Valerie Richardson covers politics and the West from Denver. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Westerners call for oversight to combat federal land managers
- Protesters rally in Colorado to support Israel's fight with Hamas
- Plagiarism scandal threatens Senate campaign of Montana Democrat John Walsh
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Act would create tax-free savings accounts for the disabled
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Murdered teen texted boyfriend: 'OMG ... I think I'm being kidnapped'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in defamation case
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world