- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
German prosecutors release collector’s art
Question of the Day
BERLIN (AP) - German prosecutors on Wednesday released more than 1,000 artworks found at the Munich apartment of a reclusive collector, days after he agreed to cooperate with authorities in determining which pieces were seized by the Nazis. However, works whose Nazi-era history is still being probed will remain in custody.
Officials seized some 1,400 items, including 1,280 artworks, from Cornelius Gurlitt’s apartment in 2012 while investigating a tax case. Gurlitt’s lawyers appealed the seizure, arguing that the art wasn’t relevant as evidence for prosecutors’ suspicions of import tax evasion. He also said that seizing the entire collection was disproportionate.
Augsburg prosecutor Matthias Nickolai said in a statement that the works were formally released after prosecutors re-evaluated the legal situation. He said prosecutors had been “absolutely convinced” at the time of the seizure that it was legally correct.
Gurlitt and the German government announced a separate agreement on Monday under which at least 458 works owned by the collector that are being checked for a Nazi-era past will stay in government hands.
Any work whose background search hasn’t been completed in a year will be returned to Gurlitt, but the collector will continue to grant access for further work. Also, pieces will be held in trust if restitution claims are pending on them after the year is up.
Prosecutors did not close the tax case against Gurlitt, the 81-year-old son of a Nazi-era art dealer.
It wasn’t immediately clear when and how the art trove would be returned to Gurlitt, though the collector’s spokesman, Stephan Holzinger, said his representatives are working hard to find “a sensible solution.”
Gurlitt inherited the collection - which includes works by Pablo Picasso, Marc Chagall and Pierre-Auguste Renoir - from his father Hildebrand Gurlitt, an art dealer who traded in works confiscated by the Nazis.
Gurlitt’s representatives are in talks with several claimants seeking restitution.
Geir Moulson contributed from Berlin.
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- New York Times reporter Carol Vogel accused of plagiarism
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world