- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LePage signs bill aimed at helping paper mill
Question of the Day
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - Maine Gov. Paul LePage has signed a bill that aims to restore more than 200 jobs lost at a paper mill in East Millinocket.
The bill signed by the Republican governor this week aims to allow the owner of the Great Northern Paper mill to receive revenue from the sale of energy that’s not being used at the mill. The mill stopped production and laid off more than 200 workers in February.
It aims to fix a 2002 law that prevented the mill from shutting down in order to sell the power generated by the dams.
Lawmakers say the new law will provide an avenue for the mill to reopen and bring back much-needed jobs to northern Maine.
TWT Video Picks
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq