- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
- Hillary: ‘Dead broke’ comment was ‘inartful,’ but insists it was ‘accurate’
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Plane search going in wrong direction
Question of the Day
For 30 days, 26 nations have been scouring the surface of the Indian Ocean with airplanes and ships, and even a few satellites, looking in vain for a debris field from Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 (“Inside China: Does active role of Chinese in search for missing Malaysia jet have a dual purpose?” Web, March 27).
The search has been limited to daylight and favorable weather, and plagued by false alarms caused by the Indian Ocean “garbage patch.”
A nuclear submarine cruising at depth could search wide areas and locate black box pings 24 hours a day, seven days a week — without needing daylight or good weather. The modern listening technology used routinely by submarines easily overcomes the clutter of ocean noises.
As a submarine veteran, I find it hard to believe that not one submariner in any navy with nukes has made this suggestion. Their leaders may have good vision, but they are apparently hard of hearing.
GEORGE F. STEEG
About the Author
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for some policy 'pars' from golfer-in-chief
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Texas law is making women safer
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Redskins partnership is a win-win
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: No taxpayer funds for illegals
- EDITORIAL: The two faces of Mark Warner
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in defamation case
- Rush Limbaugh: 'There is no journalism anymore'
- California's Jerry Brown cites God, 'religious call' to embrace illegals