- Associated Press - Monday, August 25, 2014

HANCOCK, Mich. (AP) - Mike Beaudoin and Randy Mayra have been on the Hancock Police Department together for almost 40 years, and both will retire two days apart.

Beaudoin, who is the police chief, and Mayra, who is the department’s lieutenant and lead investigator, will retire on Oct. 17 and Oct. 15, respectively.

Beaudoin, who is from Ahmeek, said he began his law enforcement career in 1975 as a deputy with the Keweenaw County Sheriff’s Office, but he was there only 14 months. He left because most of the people with whom he would have contact, he knew.

“In those days, you knew everybody,” he said.

He started with the Hancock Police Department in 1976 after a friend on the department told him there was an opening, Beaudoin said.

“Hancock offered a little better opportunity at that time,” he said.

He started as a patrol officer, Beaudoin said. He later became sergeant, then detective. In September 1988, he became acting chief and fire marshal. In December 1988, he was made chief permanently. He’s still city fire marshal.

After 38 years, Beaudoin said there have been many memorable incidents and cases to go with the routine situations he dealt with, The Daily Mining Gazette of Houghton (http://bit.ly/1BkbRvA ) reported.

Although he wasn’t directly involved, Beaudoin said one of the more memorable incidents that took place while he was on the department was the capture in 1993 of budding serial killer David Allen Goodreau, who was eventually convicted of the 1991 murder of Kathyrn Nankervis of L’Anse and the 1992 murder in Houghton of Michigan Technological University student Jodi Lynn Watts.

Beaudoin said Goodreau was captured walking near the police station on Quincy Street after attempting to break into the apartment of a young woman, who called the department saying someone was trying to get into her place. When he was arrested, he was carrying duct tape, a pry bar and a video camera, among other items.

Mayra said he was about to go on vacation, when he got a call to come into the station and interview Goodreau.

“They called me and said, ‘We got this guy who was walking through a parking lot and he has latex gloves on and a video camera,’” Mayra said. “To be honest with you, I thought he was just some other pervert that was running around the area.”

Mayra said he knew about Goodreau, who worked in the Hancock Social Security office, and was a regular on a local radio show.

“I used to listen to him, and I thought, boy that’s a smart guy,” he said.

Mayra said eventually Goodreau admitted to him he was trying to break into the young woman’s apartment in Hancock with the intent of assaulting her.

Story Continues →