- Associated Press - Wednesday, August 27, 2014

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - Two Brown University football players who were investigated in an alleged sexual assault case referred to a third player being involved, according to law enforcement documents.

Search warrant affidavits for the emails and cellphone records of the players, filed in Rhode Island state court Tuesday, disclosed the alleged involvement of a third player for the first time, The Providence Journal reported (http://bit.ly/1gE23RO ).

A Providence County grand jury declined to indict the two players on Monday. The attorney general’s office provided no explanation for the decision and declined to comment Wednesday. Court rules prohibit the office from discussing grand jury proceedings.

The two players were told to leave campus and were removed from the team roster after the allegations came to light. The third player remains on the team, according to the Journal. He has not been charged.

An 18-year-old Providence College freshman told investigators earlier this year she believes she was drugged at a bar in November and sexually assaulted. She said she woke up in a dorm room at Brown.

In the new affidavits, police said the three men discussed the incident, shared a picture of the woman naked on top of one of the men and made fun of her, the Journal reported. In an instant message, the two players referred to the third allegedly assaulting the woman, calling it “classic” and saying, “No invite just walks in and starts raping her.”

Brown University has declined to comment on the grand jury probe. A spokesman for the school could not say Monday whether the two players would be returning for the start of classes next week, and their lawyers said they were undecided about their plans.

___

Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.providencejournal.com