A general became the U.S. military’s highest-ranking fatality in the war in Afghanistan on Tuesday when an Afghan soldier opened fire at a military training academy west of the capital, Kabul — a bloody reminder of the insider attacks that have been decreasing as international troops prepare to leave the country by the end of the year.
Pentagon officials declined to identify the slain general by name and rank, pending notification of next of kin. The Associated Press identified him as Army Maj. Gen. Harold Greene, deputy commander of Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan.
The American general and about 15 other U.S. and foreign troops, including a German brigadier general and two Afghan generals, were shot during a visit to Marshal Fahim National Defense University, officials said. About half of the injured were Americans, and the wounds ranged from minor to serious.
The gunman was killed by Afghan security forces during the attack, Afghan and U.S. officials said, adding that an investigation is underway.
President Obama, who was briefed on the incident, offered his thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims, White House press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters Tuesday afternoon.
“This shooting is, of course, a painful reminder of the service and sacrifice our men and women in uniform make every day for this country,” Mr. Earnest said.
He added that by phasing out U.S. involvement in Afghanistan, there have been fewer deaths and injuries in recent months.
“Because of our efforts to wind down the war, and because of the changing mission of American personnel in Afghanistan, we have seen a decline in the casualty rate of American personnel there,” the White House spokesman said.
Still, Tuesday’s shooting highlights the dangers as the U.S.-led coalition withdraws and Afghanistan’s nascent forces assume responsibility for securing their country. However, Pentagon officials said the incident would not affect the scheduled withdrawal. About 30,000 U.S. troops remain in the country.
The shooting was the third insider, or “green on blue,” attack this year and the first fatal assault since February, according to The Long War Journal, which chronicles such incidents.
Some previous attacks were carried out by Taliban operatives who had infiltrated the Afghan army’s ranks; others resulted from Afghan soldiers influenced by the Taliban or outraged over some interaction with foreign troops. The gunman’s motive for Tuesday’s assault was not known.
Insider attacks had numbered in the dozens just two years ago and have been on the decline as U.S. commanders implemented strategies to improve American troops’ relations with their Afghan trainees and as Afghan authorities conducted more thorough vetting of recruits.
“Essentially, you had what had been a major achievement in that these attacks had decreased, and today it’s happened again,” said Michael Kugelman, senior program associate for South and Southeast Asia at the Woodrow Wilson Center. “So it’s sort of a case not of the same old story but, ‘Uh-oh, here we go again.’”
In Afghanistan, President Hamid Karzai condemned the attack as a “cowardly … act by the enemies who don’t want to see Afghanistan have strong institutions.”
Additionally, Gen. Mohammad Zahir Azimi, a spokesman for Afghanistan’s Defense Ministry, said a “terrorist in an army uniform” opened fire on local and international troops.