- Associated Press - Monday, December 22, 2014

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (AP) - A fire and would-be looters added up to a bad day for a Fairbanks outdoors retailor.

Fairbanks police say a fire broke out early Sunday morning inside The Prospector store, forcing a temporary closure.

Fire officials speculate a boiler malfunction caused the fire. The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported smoke from the fire initiated the sprinkler system, which doused the fire.

Then, as employees were cleaning up the mess, KTUU reports three looters tried to sneak in a back door, which had been propped open.

KTUU says police were nearby investigating another complaint and saw a commotion in the parking lot as employees tried to detain the suspects.

Police say the three attempted to flee, but were caught by police and arrested.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide