- Associated Press - Tuesday, December 23, 2014

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - At least two people are hospitalized with injuries after a fire at a boarding house in south Omaha.

Firefighters encountered thick black smoke when they were called to the house near 22nd and M streets around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Omaha Fire Battalion Chief Tim McCaw says CPR was being performed on one person who was taken in critical condition to the Nebraska Medical Center.

The second injured person was taken to another Omaha hospital in serious condition

Authorities say the rest of the home’s residents escaped safely, and the fire was controlled by 2:47 p.m.

The older home had been segmented into apartments, and a sign out front advertises weekly room rental rates.

McCaw says the fire started in the basement, but it’s not clear how it started.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide