- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 24, 2014

FARMINGTON, N.M. (AP) - Firefighters say a 4-year-old boy and his mother died after their mobile home in San Juan County caught fire.

The Farmington Daily Times reports (http://bit.ly/13Eq4q8) that authorities say mother and son were killed in the fire early Tuesday just south of Farmington.

Aldeena Lopez, the boy’s paternal grandmother, says the fire started around 12:30 a.m. and trapped her 26-year-old son, his wife and her two grandsons.

She says her son broke a window and got his 6-year-old son out.

Lopez’s son was taken to San Juan Medical Center for treatment and is alert.

San Juan County Fire Chief Doug Hatfield says preliminary evidence indicates a wood-burning stove caused the fire.

Hatfield says owners of wood-burning stoves should keep the stove pipe clean and have a working smoke detector.

___

Information from: The Daily Times, http://www.daily-times.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide