- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 24, 2014

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Two summer youth camps in the Alleghany Mountains and a coalfields railroad depot are among the 10 new entries to the Virginia Landmarks Registry.

The Virginia Department of Historic Resources added the historic sites to the register this month. The listings were forwarded to the National Park Service for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places.

Among the other entries: a cemetery for formerly enslaved African Americans, historically significant farms and homesteads and a school for black high school students.

Both summer youth camps are located in Bath County. Established near Bubbling Springs in 1917, Camp Alkulana is the oldest known and still operating summer camp in Virginia. The camp provided underprivileged girls a retreat in the Alleghany Mountains of western Virginia.

Camp Mont Shenandoah, founded in 1927, also still operates today, serving young women from across the U.S.

Tazewell Depot was built in 1928 and still stands in the town of Tazewell, which now owns it. It is the last remaining depot of the 29 that once lined the 103-mile Clinch Valley Line between Bluefield, West Virginia, and Norton, Virginia.

The other additions to the registry, with descriptions provided by the Department of Historic Resources, are:

- The Newtown Cemetery, Harrisonburg. It was significant for its place in the development of the city’s historically African-American community of Newtown. It arose soon after the Civil War. The cemetery, founded in 1869, contains the graves of 900, including community founders and veterans of wars including Vietnam.

- Kenmore Farm, Amherst County. Established in 1856, the property features a Greek Revival-style main house. After the Civil War, the property included Kenmore University High School, which educated young men destined to attend the University of Virginia.

- The site of the Buckingham Training School, near Dillwyn. The school, now demolished, was the only high school for young black boys and girls in Buckingham County from 1924 to 1954.

- Amblers, James City County. The brick farmhouse was built in 1852 and its original section is the only known surviving example in Virginia’s lower peninsula of Picturesque, a design characterized by asymmetry and irregular building proportions.

-The Sayers Homestead, Lee County. Established in 1796 near the Cumberland Gap, the property features a two-story stone house built of limestone, a rare construction material in southwest Virginia. The homestead also features a limestone garage and outbuildings.

- The Thomas Claiborne Creasy House, Pittsylvania County. The Gretna home’s namesake was a merchant, bank president and justice of the peace. Creasy purchased the circa-1840 frame house in 1883.

- The Samuel Gilmer House, Russell County. Built around 1820, it is one of the few remaining examples of Federal-style architecture in far southwest Virginia.

___

Online:

Images of the registry additions can be found on the website of the Virginia Department of Historic Resources: www.dhr.virginia.gov

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide