- Associated Press - Thursday, December 25, 2014

STOW, Mass. (AP) - The Massachusetts fire marshal’s office is warning Christmas revelers to be careful and take a few moments to check their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are in working order.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan says more house fires occur on Dec. 25 than on any other day of the year except Thanksgiving.

Coan says cooking mishaps are the leading cause of Christmas blazes, and urges people not to be distracted and leave pots and pans unattended on the stove.

He also warned people to be careful with fireplace fires and the burning of candles, which should be lighted only within a 1-foot “circle of safety.”

Coan also said Wednesday that Christmas trees shouldn’t be placed too close to a heat source.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide