- Arkansas voter ID law struck down by state judge
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
- Bad omen? Italian man crushed to death by John Paul II crucifix
- Company stopped from accepting abortion waste
- Girl surprises Michelle Obama with unemployed dad’s resume
- ‘Harry Potter’ religion class seeks to enlighten students on ‘God, sin, and theodicy’
- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
Makarova faces Pliskova in Pattaya Open final
PATTAYA, Thailand (AP) - Fourth-seeded Ekaterina Makarova of Russia beat Andrea Hlavackova 6-3, 0-6, 6-4 Saturday to reach the final of the Pattaya Open where she will play Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic for the first time.
“She was playing so aggressive, so flat … I really wanted to fight to make her move,” the 28th-ranked Makarova said. “The final will be similar … I need to do the same like today, making her (Pliskova) move as much as I can.”
Pliskova served 13 aces to beat Julia Goerges of Germany 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 in 1 hour, 35 minutes. She reached her second career WTA final after winning the title in Kuala Lumpur last year.
Pliskova took a 3-0 lead in the decisive set but failed to convert two match points at 5-2. However, she served out the match at love in the next game.
By Tammy Bruce
Only IRS employees could expect rewards for failing to pay their taxes
- Holder cancels appearance in OKC amid angry protests
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Gun control supporters send message to NRA
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Nevada rancher's racial remarks cost him range of support
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014