- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Report: NH improving in emergency preparedness
Question of the Day
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - A national report says New Hampshire has made progress toward building and strengthening its abilities to prepare for a public health emergency.
Being prepared to prevent, respond to, and recover from all types of public health threats, such as disease outbreaks, chemical releases, or natural disasters, requires that public health departments improve and maintain their capabilities in surveillance and epidemiology, laboratories, and response readiness.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report says New Hampshire’s Public Health Laboratories has demonstrated capabilities for responding if the public is exposed to chemical agents. The state Health Department’s incident management team also reported for duty in 20 minutes in 2012 during a drill when the goal was within 60 minutes.
“We are pleased with the results of the report,” said Dr. José Montero, director of public health at the state Health Department. “Employees at our department and around the state have put in tremendous amounts of work over the last few years to prepare for emergencies, as well as some real life practice that have enabled us to improve and learn what works best for the people of New Hampshire.”
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Russia sends Iraq fighter jets, helicopter gunships for ISIL fight after meeting in Moscow
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq