- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Vt. seventh-lowest for long-term unemployed
Question of the Day
MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) - A think-tank report is finding that nearly a quarter of Vermont’s unemployed have been out of work for 27 weeks or longer. But the state ranks seventh-lowest in the country in that category of long-term unemployed.
Vermont’s unemployment rate for December was 4.2 percent, tying it with Iowa for fifth-lowest in the country. But the Economic Policy Institute puts the percentage of Vermont’s unemployed who are long-term unemployed at 23.7 percent.
The jurisdictions with the highest long-term unemployment were New Jersey, the District of Columbia and Florida - all between 46 and 47 percent. The states doing better than Vermont were all in the Great Plains or Mountain West, including the Dakotas, Iowa, Idaho, Utah and Oklahoma.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- House backs faster deportations, cancels 'Dreamer' policy
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors