- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Retired Hall County judge, David Bush, dies at 65
GRAND ISLAND, Neb. (AP) - A former Hall County judge described as “one of those larger-than-life characters” has died of cancer.
Retired Judge David Bush, of Hall County, died Sunday morning at a Grand Island nursing facility, said Laurie Sheffield, of All Faiths Funeral Home in Grand Island. He was 65.
Bush retired in May 2011 after 24 years of service as a judge, said The Grand Island Independent (http://bit.ly/1iQKq1O ). He’d been appointed to the county court bench by then-Gov. Kay Orr in 1987.
Former law partner John McDermott described Bush as fair, compassionate and “extremely balanced.”
Bush graduated from high school in New Jersey and eventually earned his bachelor’s and law degrees from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. He first worked in corporate law in Lincoln and then served three years in the city attorney’s office before moving to North Platte to go into private practice. He moved to Grand Island in 1980 and became a defense attorney with the firm of Shamberg and Wolf.
Senior partner John Wolf said Bush was very considerate of lawyers “and very even-handed and had great judicial temperament.”
“He was an awful good friend of mine, too,” Wolf said.
The chief Hall County prosecutor, Mark Young, said Bush “was one of those larger-than-life characters who could really live up to any role he was in.”
Bush’s wife, Dori Bush, said her husband “just always tried to do the right thing.”
Information from: The Grand Island Independent, http://www.theindependent.com
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Yelp.com's ethics questioned
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.