- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
SC board delays update on evolution standards
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - South Carolina's Education Oversight Committee has delayed adopting an update to high school biology standards due to a Republican senator’s concerns about the teaching of evolution.
The committee on Monday approved the rest of the package on what students in kindergarten through 12th grade should learn about science. The update is part of the state’s required periodic review of standards.
Sen. Mike Fair of Greenville wanted to know why the words “natural selection” were added to standards regarding biological evolution. He says that refers to Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution, and he wants the wording removed.
In 2006, the committee and state Board of Education were at an impasse over the wording of evolution standards. Both panels must agree on proposed revisions. Fair wants to revert to the compromise wording.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again