- Obama hosting annual Easter Egg Roll
- Big Bang a big question for most Americans: Poll
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Supreme Court issues no ruling on case challenging N.J. gun law
- Sharyl Attkisson: Media Matters ‘clearly targeted me’
- Sherpas consider boycott after Everest avalanche
- Democrat Rep. Stephen Lynch on Obamacare: ‘We will lose seats’ this November
- Syria to hold presidential election on June 3
- People will be safe at 118th Boston Marathon, Mayor Marty Walsh says
- Boy Scout, 12, killed by rolling tree during troop outing at Washington park
SD House advances bill on immigrant prenatal care
PIERRE, S.D. (AP) - After a vigorous debate, the South Dakota House has passed a bill to provide prenatal health care for low-income women who are in the country illegally.
Legislators have voted 46-22 to pass the bill. The Senate will review it next.
Opponents of the bill say it will make South Dakota a sanctuary for immigrants with illegal status. One amendment that failed to pass would have required that hospitals and clinics report mothers who are suspected of being in the country illegally to the federal immigration offices.
The House has accepted an amendment to require an annual report on the medical outcomes and financial impact from the Medicaid expansion proposed in the bill. Supporters say prenatal care for these women will save lives of babies and save the state money.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Jimmy Carter's grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.