- Army’s ‘Most Wanted’ fugitive on lam since 1977 nabbed in Florida
- ‘Seinfeld’-loving fraudsters busted on ID theft — of Eric Holder
- Spain, Morocco break up jihadist recruitment cell, arrest 7
- Muslim insurgents shoot then set on fire Buddhist teacher in Thailand
- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
2010 Olympic champ to serve as US envoy
Lysacek and Flatt will celebrate the 140th anniversary of modern figure skating being introduced in Russia by American skater and ballet dancer Jackson Haines. Lysacek served as a sports envoy on behalf of the United States in Belarus and Sweden in 2012.
Lysacek and Flatt will conduct clinics with local young athletes of all skill levels, and speak to university audiences on healthy living, the spirit of the Olympics, and the ability of sports to bring people together regardless of culture or background. They are following a path recently traveled by five-time world champion Michelle Kwan.
“Michelle has been a really positive force in the sports diplomacy movement,” Lysacek said. “I have seen the positive impact that type of awareness has; it is very non-threatening. For the most part these trips are really about healthy living and living that active lifestyle and promoting the positive influence of sports and the athletes’ ability to unite.”
Since 2003, the State Department has invited nearly 1,000 athletes from more than 60 countries to the United States to participate in sports visitor programs. The government also has sent more than 220 U.S. athletes to more than 50 countries on sports envoy programs.
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S.: Malaysia plane's on-board communications purposely shut down
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- EDITORIAL: Lois Lerner's dilemma
- PRUDEN: Sink sank own campaign in Florida special election
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again