- State Department: ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
- George W. Bush penning biography of father
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola fears; 2 volunteers isolated
- House overwhelmingly approves $16 billion cash infusion for VA overhaul
AP PHOTOS: 10 things to know about Shirley Temple
Question of the Day
She was the biggest of child stars. She was the top U.S. box-office draw from 1935 to 1938, bigger than Clark Gable, Bing Crosby, Gary Cooper or Joan Crawford. She kept children singing “On the Good Ship Lollipop” for generations, retired from acting at age 21 and went on to a diplomatic career. Here’s a look at the life of Shirley Temple, who died Monday at age 85:
1. HOW MANY GOLDEN CURLS WERE ON HER HEAD
Her mother was said to have done her hair for each movie, with every hairstyle having exactly 56.
2. WHEN SHE STOPPED BELIEVING IN SANTA CLAUS
At age 6, “Mother took me to see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph.”
3. SO FAMOUS THEY NAMED A DRINK AFTER HER
The kid’s cocktail for the ages: ginger ale and grenadine, topped with a maraschino cherry.
4. HOW SHE LIFTED PEOPLE’S SPIRITS DURING THE DEPRESSION
“… It is a splendid thing that for just 15 cents, an American can go to a movie and look at the smiling face of a baby and forget his troubles,” President Franklin D. Roosevelt once said.
5. HOW SHE LEARNED TO CRY ON CUE…
“I guess I was an early method actress. I would go to a quiet part of the sound stage with my mother. I wouldn’t think of anything sad, I would just make my mind a blank. In a minute I could cry. I didn’t like to cry after lunch, because I was too content.”
6. …AND HOW IT CAME IN HANDY AT AGE 21
Driving up the Pacific Coast Highway near Malibu in a red convertible, she was stopped for speeding. She turned on the tears, and the officers ended up escorting her home.
7. WHY SHE DIDN’T PLAY DOROTHY IN “THE WIZARD OF OZ”
20th Century Fox chief Darryl Zanuck refused to lend her out for the 1939 classic.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Star witness in Bob McDonnell corruption trial refutes 'crush' defense
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world