- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
All Times EST
NORTHERN TRUST OPEN
Site: Los Angeles.
Course: Riviera Country Club (7,349 yards, par 71).
Purse: $6.7 million. Winner’s share: $1,206,000.
Television: Golf Channel (Thursday, 5-8 p.m., 8:30-11:30 p.m.; Friday, midnight-3 a.m., 5-8 p.m., 8:30-11:30 p.m.; Saturday, 2-5 a.m., 1-2:30 p.m., 9:30 p.m.-2 a.m.; Sunday, 1-2:30 p.m., 8 p.m.-1 a.m.) and CBS (Saturday, 3-6 p.m.; Sunday, 3-6:30 p.m.).
Last year: John Merrick won his first PGA Tour title, beating Charlie Beljan with a par on the second hole of a playoff. Merrick is from Long Beach and played at UCLA.
Last week: Jimmy Walker won the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am for his third victory in eight starts in the wraparound season. He closed with a 2-over 74 and won by a stroke.
Notes: Walker is in the field. He opened the season in October with a victory in the Frys.com Open and won the Sony Open in Hawaii last month. He’s the fourth player in the last 20 years to win three times in his first eight starts to a season, following Tiger Woods (who has done it eight times), Phil Mickelson and David Duval. … Woods and Mickelson are skipping the tournament and the World Golf Championships-Match Play Championship next week in Arizona. Woods last played his hometown event in 2006. … U.S. Open champion Justin Rose is returning from a right shoulder injury. … Fred Couples, the 1990 and 1992 champion, is making his record 32nd start in the event. … Ben Hogan won three times at the course in a 17-month span, taking the 1947 and ‘48 Los Angeles Opens and ‘48 U.S. Open.
LPGA TOUR/LADIES EUROPEAN TOUR/AUSTRALIAN LADIES PROFESSIONAL GOLF
WOMEN’S AUSTRALIAN OPEN
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.