- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Ray Davies, Donovan part of Songwriters Hall class
NEW YORK (AP) - Ray Davies and Donovan are among the 2014 class of the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
The organization announced Tuesday that “Midnight Train to Georgia” writer Jim Weatherly and English songwriter Graham Gouldman also made the cut. Mark James, the writer of “Always on My Mind” - covered by Elvis Presley and Willie Nelson - rounds out the list of five inductees.
The new class beat out top acts that were also up for nomination, including Madonna, John Mellencamp, Sade, Nile Rodgers and Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page and Robert Plant.
Davies, the Kinks leader singer and chief songwriter, penned the band’s hits “You Really Got Me,” ”Tired of Waiting for You” and “All Day and All of the Night.” He has also written for Van Halen and the Pretenders.
Scottish singer-songwriter Donovan’s hits include “Sunshine Superman,” ”Mellow Yellow” and “Atlantis.” Donovan has collaborated with Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ronnie Wood and Jeff Beck.
Both the Kinks and Donovan have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
The 45th annual Songwriters Hall of Fame gala will be held June 12 at the New York Marriott Marquis.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Skeptics on all sides take aim of John Kerry's tentative deal on Ukraine
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.